10 Essentials Things you must carry while going on a Trek


Several years back when I started my trekking journey I did not know the things and essentials I should carry while going on one. On every trek, I used to forget one or the other things because of which I got into trouble.
So, to avoid getting into trouble like me, here I present you the 10 essential things you must carry as a freshman while going on a trek.


1)Backpack
While going for a trek or a hike, you must carry a 60-80 litre backpack to carry all your clothes and eatables. In the backpack, you should have all the things you need while climbing because on the mountain you do not have any shops to buy things. Your backpack should be comfortable on your shoulders and it should protect your gear in every situation be it rain or snow. I use the Quechua Forclaz 60 Backpack (Blue)which I think is worth buying because of its quality and price. Most importantly the backpack is so comfortable on my shoulders and I barely feel any pain which makes my tours more delightful.  
                                        
2)Trekking Footwear
Choosing a great pair of trekking shoes makes you free from worries of shoes being wet or being worn out. Your trekking shoes makes you enjoy every moment of your journey and allows you to cross rocky trails without slipping. The high ankle form of the shoe binds the ankle preventing it from any sprains. Also, your shoes should be waterproof and should support at least -10 degrees. I use Quechua NH300 Mid Waterproof Men's Nature Hiking Boots - Black (EU 40) and I think this shoe has never disappointed me in any way.

3)First Aid Kit
As a beginner, you should know that the first aid kit is one of the essentials that you should never forget at home. When you are going on a higher altitude, the probability of illness increases by around 10% and medical shops are not available. So, it's recommended that you should carry basic medicines like stomach pain, headache, common cold, allergies.
Here's a list of basic medicines that one should carry while trekking or hiking:
                                         Fig3.1Medicines to carry on Trek

4)Trekking Pole
A trekking the pole is one of the basic things that a trekker or hiker should have with him during his trail. It serves you as a third leg and if you correctly use the pole, it will never let you disbalance yourself. I got to know the importance of a trekking pole when I went on my first snow trek and I was thankful to myself that I bought the trekking pole with me. It helped me throughout the trek and it was kind of difficult to walk to snow without the pole.
Here is a picture of how you should hold your trekking pole:
 
 
 











































                                                                                         Fig3.2 How to hold a trekking pole                                                                                                              

              





5)Eatables and Energy Drinks
You should have some biscuits, chocolates and other small eating 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
stuff with them like a sandwich, energy drinks like Redbull, Sting, etc.. These little munchies gave you the energy to walk throughout without losing yourself. Also, carry some fruits like apple, bananas or some dry fruits like almond, cashews or walnuts which replenishes the nutrients in your body and keeps your body warm.

6)Power Bank and Torch
When it comes to trekking one should never expect that he is going to get a power source 7000ft above sea level. So, you should have your charged power bank with you all the time.
Just like this torch is one of the most important things one should always have it with him. One gets to know the importance of the torch only in the night when it's all dark and only you can see is the stars shining in the sky. Once I forgot to take the torch with me on a trek and that was the time I got to know the value of this small stuff.
So, it's recommended that one should never forget his torch and power bank at home.

7)Water Bottles
A water the bottle is the main thing that you cannot afford to forget. You should have at least 2 bottles -one for your normal water and other for the energy drinks like Gatorade, electoral or glucose. When you have to walk for 5-6 hours straight your body dehydrates be it summer or winter trek. So sipping water keeps you hydrated and maintains the liquid balance in your body. You can also fill the water bottles from the streams, ponds and other water sources you get between the trail. You should take a bottle which does not leak even after falling and I prefer the Quechua or Milton water bottle which is a great bottle to buy. 

8)Hand Sanitizer and Paper Soap
When you are up to the hill, you do not have access to enough water to wash your hands every time you eat. I remember that in the earlier phases of trekking I used to forget to take a bottle of sanitizer with me and due to the scarcity of water I have to eat with my dirty hands because I had no other option.
Adding to this paper soup is another important thing that you should have with you because up to the mountain you don't have toilets. You have to litter by the dumping method in a small tent. I know it sounds dirty and unhygienic but it's all that you have up there.
So, I always recommend everyone going out for hiking or trekking to take a hand sanitizer and paper soup with them.

9)Apparel
When it comes to clothing the most important thing is that you should be comfortable walking in those for 4-5 hours carrying your heavy backpack.
~During rainy season -When you are climbing in the rain you must have waterproof upper and lower. in place of waterproof clothes, you can also use poncho (raincoat) which covers all your body from top to bottom and your backpack. Also, you should have waterproof shoes because if your shoes get wet you don't have time to dry up those.
~During snowfall-In the snow you must have windcheaters or snow jackets and snow lowers which not only protect you from freezing winds but also prevents your clothes from the snow. Also adding to those you should have gloves, winter cap.

10)Other Personal Essentials
During the summer treks, one encounters with direct sunlight which burns your skin. I remember till this date I forgot to take sunscreen and hand skins on the mountain with me. Because of which when I return from the mountains I always suffer from severe tanning. Also during the winter trek lip balm and a good moisturizer is highly recommended.



NOTE - Trek as much as you want but its a request to all the travelers -
PLEASE do not leave empty water bottles, wrappers, plastic bags & other non-disposable material up to the mountain.
        TREK CLEAN, TREK GREEN


Happy Wandering J








Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts